As someone with Lebanese roots, my Tabbouleh standards are high – I know the authentic taste. Childhood memories are filled with laboriously picking parsley for Tabbouleh. Saturdays at home meant a feast – Mom’s Tabbouleh, kabobs, rice, hummus, and whatever creative dish Mom concocted. Dad’s half work days meant eagerly awaiting his return to prep the BBQ for the kabobs, making Saturdays a cherished family tradition. Join me on a journey down memory lane and explore the rich flavors of Lebanese cuisine, from Tabbouleh to sizzling kabobs.
Taboulleh or Tabouli or however you want to spell it, is a traditional Lebanese salad that you will find at every Lebanese household. It’s so refreshing and tasty, reminds me of eating out of a bountiful garden. I have grown up eating Taboulleh all of my life and learned to make it alongside my mom when i was just 12 years old!
What is Tabbouleh Salad?
Tabbouleh salad is a vibrant and refreshing Lebanese dish, celebrated for its wholesome ingredients and zesty flavor profile. This traditional salad is primarily composed of finely chopped fresh parsley, ripe tomatoes, green onions, and fragrant mint, all tossed together with bulgur wheat. The dressing consists of olive oil, lemon juice, and a medley of spices, creating a harmonious blend that enhances the overall taste.
Packed with antioxidants and nutrients, Tabbouleh is not only a flavorful delight but also a healthy addition to any meal. Its colorful presentation and the crispness of the vegetables make it visually appealing, enticing both the palate and the eyes.
Embrace the essence of Mediterranean cuisine with Tabbouleh – a perfect balance of freshness and zest that complements a variety of dishes. Dive into the world of Lebanese flavors and discover the joy of crafting this iconic salad that stands as a testament to the rich culinary heritage of the region. Explore our Tabbouleh recipe to bring a touch of Lebanon to your table.
- 5 cups finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cups finely chopped green onions
- 4 TB finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat #1
- 6 TB lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash of sugar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Using a large, sharp cutting knife, chop the parsley, mint, tomatoes, and green onions, then add them to a large bowl. Next, add the bulgur and mix the ingredients thoroughly. Refrigerate for a couple of hours until the bulgur plumps up and softens.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, sugar, and paprika until well combined.
- After the parsley mixture has been refrigerated for 2 hours, add the dressing and mix.